Friday, April 8, 2011

Film Fest Vol. 3

Milk is the story of the life and assassination of Harvey Milk, California's first openly gay elected official and gay rights activist. The film follows Milk's several political campaigns, gay rights events and all of the friends he makes along the way up until his tragic death. We get to know him as such a loving and passionate person that want to do so much good and help everyone he meets. 
Milk was directed by Gus Van Sant. His films are always hit or miss for me--he has made some great movies, but also some of the worst ones I know of. It was written by Dustin Lance Black who won Best Screenplay. It also doesn't hurt that it features good looking men like Emile Hirsch, James Franco, Josh Brolin and Sean Penn!
 It is full of powerful performances. I was completely blown away by Sean Penn's performance in which he makes Harvey Milk look like the sweetest man that ever lived. I was so glad that I knew before seeing the movie (it's not a spoiler) that he gets killed, if I hadn't it would have been a thousand times more heartbreaking! It is a very moving film, beware you may shed some tears, I know I did.
I was and still am upset that it didn't win Best Picture; I won't even begin to tell you how angry I was when Slumdog Millionaire won instead!


1,234567 & 8

1 comment:

lina said...

oh i truly enjoyed this movie!! so good. so good. & i really like what you said about it. you put all the pieces together nicely : )

Post a Comment